Sunday, 10 November 2013
Sunday, 20 October 2013
- Homeopathic medicines are potentised and do not come in the form of herbal tinctures and capsules. Homeopathic medicines are uniquely prepared by a process of progressive dilution (diluted many times over in water) and vigorous succussion (shaking/friction of the solution). Herbs are prepared by preserving them in order to preserve their active ingredient but the ingredients are not diluted. Many homeopathic medicines are prepared from plants and herbs but many are not, and homeopathic medicines can originate from different types of substances other than plants. Although homeopaths may use herbal tinctures to give extra physiological support to a person's body and support their health, herbs are not often or always prescribed by homeopaths.
- Homeopathy does not merely refer to the fact that medicines are natural and are not drugs or man-made substances. Homeopathy is a complete system of medicine with guiding principles of how exactly to approach the cure of illness in its entirety and permanently. Homeopathic philosophy has an underlying theory of illness and many instructions on how exactly to overcome it.
- The most important difference is that homeopathy is based on the principle of 'Like cures Like' whereas herbalism is more similar to allopathic medicine, in that herbs are prescribed to oppose or counterbalance certain physical symptoms.
Wednesday, 16 October 2013
Homeopathy is a complete system of medicine within itself, the roots of which go back hundreds of years. This form of medicine is governed by central, unchanging guiding principles. How these principles are applied in the practise of homeopathy may vary from individual to individual as this system of medicine is tailored to the individual in a holistic and personal way. Each person's experience of illness is subjective when compared with another person suffering exactly the same condition. Although there are features common to both, the pathological disturbance differs in individual constitutions. This why in homeopathy there are thousands of remedies, and any two people suffering for example, Multiple Sclerosis will be prescribed different homeopathic medicines rather than the same ones. This fact explains, why some people have few symptoms of cancer until it is diagnosed and death follows within weeks, and why other people have symptoms which indicate cancer but may live 10-20 years after the initial diagnosis. Each person's body is different and responds differently to sickness. The disease is not the same, and so the remedy must be necessarily be different too.
These central principles are:
- The Law of Similars. Similibus Similia Curentur. This means if one administers a substance to a healthy person and the person then develops a particular pattern of illness, then this substance will be likely to cure that pattern as is already shown in a sick person. All homeopathic medicines have been tested on healthy subjects and the experience of illness that ensued was recorded to show which disturbances these medicines would cure in sick people. Cure occurs not by opposing symptoms of illness but by joining forces with the body's own attempts to overthrow disturbance and helping the body to complete its action by giving it extra strength and stimulus.
- The Principle of the Minimum Dose. This principle refers to the fact that the dosage of a medicine exists only to stimulate the body into healing itself. The dose is as small as it is possible to be while also having a therapeutic effect. This is to do with the fact that homeopathic medicines are highly dilute (see below). But this is also to do with professional homeopaths' approach to case management and the avoidance of drug dependence and subsequent weakening of people's immune systems through the toxic effects of drugs.
- Hering's Law or the Principle of Cure. This is the principle by which homeopaths determine whether a cure is actually taking place or not. I will write more on this later.
Homeopathic medicines are prepared from many different substances such as plants and herbs, metals, poisons, animal excretions, and disease materials. The preparation of medicines is unique in the world and people have found it difficult to grasp and comprehend. However, there is progress being made into developing insight and understanding as to how this specific method is effective in being both therapeutic and yet completely non-toxic at the same time. This non-toxicity of effective healing agents has always been a struggle and difficult problem to medicine-men throughout time, as it is well-known that many substances which can cure, can also kill. Hence, within the system of orthodox medicine, there are huge areas of blurred ethics around the capacity of medicines to cause serious side-effects to the body which may complicate illness or at worst kill a patient. This has led to intense regulation and has necessitated many clinical trials, pharmaceutical patents and drug licenses. This has led to the creation of medicine boards. And this has also led to episodes of crisis (the Thalidomide scandal, for example) and class action lawsuits. The fact that homeopathy has solved a problem which leads to suffering, paranoia, clinical danger and expenditure of huge sums of money on drugs rather than resources and health-care for all is a fact which seems to be conveniently ignored by most.
Tuesday, 15 October 2013
Yes, of course! Homeopathy is safe for newborns, infants, older babies and children of all ages. In fact, because children have such amazing vitality and energy they respond quickly and immediately to homeopathic medicine. They enjoy the taste of the pills and tablets - they never refuse remedies! Homeopathic medicines never affect them by making them feel drowsy, low in energy or sick. They bring back good humour, appetite, interest in life even before the improvement kicks in with physical illness. Homeopathy is safe and also an effective treatment for children with chronic, diagnosed conditions and perfectly safe to take alongside prescribed medication.
What kind of situations can homeopathy transform or heal in the lives of your children?
- Teething, colic, constipation, sleep disturbance and appetite in babies.
- Low and high fevers, and all manner of viral and bacterial infections.
- Ear infections, glue ear, sore throats, tonsillitis, conjunctivitis.
- Headaches and tummy aches, winter vomiting bug, food poisoning, diarrhoea, worms, head-lice.
- Emotional upsets of all kinds - fears (the dark, dogs, ghosts, death) , effects of bullying, 'school refusers', learning difficulties (ADD, ADHD, Aspergers, Autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, speech and language difficulties and developmental delays) shyness, lack of confidence, difficulties with friends.
- In girls, early development towards puberty and emotional stresses resulting from it.
- Growing pains, warts, molluscum, eczema, asthma, allergies, anaemia.
- Adverse effects or reactions to vaccinations.
- Help, support and healing of more serious unhappiness and mental and emotional disorders in children who have already experienced much trauma and/or abuse in their short-lives. Healing of the hurts caused by abandonment, separations and rejection.
Yes. First to be practical, many alternative medicines such as herbal remedies come preserved in alcohol, so that can be difficult for recovering alcoholics. If you wish to use homeopathic remedies, your homeopath can dispense them in a liquid alcohol-free form. Your remedy will be placed in water and the water will be preserved with charcoal or cider vinegar. I prefer charcoal, as cider vinegar does not last as long and can taste funny after a while! Alcohol is not used for homeopathic tablet and pill preparations so these are always safe to use. Homeopathy is safe to use in conjunction with prescription drugs.
While you are asking this question, what about what homeopathy can do to help people afflicted with addiction to alcohol, whether still drinking or in recovery?
- Homeopathy can treat the person's deep pain which led them to take to drinking as a coping mechanism.
- It can treat all physical problems and complicated emotional fall-out in relationships as a result of drinking.
- It can detox the body and provide much needed support to the liver and other organs.
- It can help with rehab and provides amazing relief for delirium tremens.
- It can treat the susceptibility to alcoholism which runs in families thus helping future generations.
- It can reduce if not eliminate alcohol cravings which will provide further support to people in recovery.
- It can treat many associated physical illnesses.
- Homeopathic treatment can help to liberate the free will and will-power of the individual to strengthen their capacity to triumph over their addiction.
Monday, 14 October 2013
Yes. It may better for you to use either the lactose tablets or to take homeopathic medicines in liquid form, as all pills are made of sugar. But it really depends on your blood sugar control as to whether you can use sucrose pills. I have treated people with diabetes who have been able to take a homeopathic remedy in any form, as the amounts of sugar we are speaking of are so minuscule as to not make a difference. Pills and/or tablets may be dissolved in water also.
Incidentally, homeopathic treatment is a wonderful way forward for people with diabetes. This is what homeopathy can do:
- It can help you regain blood sugar control.
- It can help you maintain your warning signs and symptoms if you have lost them, due to the diabetes becoming more unmanageable.
- In mild cases of Type II diabetes, it can help restore healthy pancreatic functioning through 'organ support' remedies combined with constitutional treatment combined with lifestyle measures.
- It can help you to regain vitality and overall health by treating associated health problems and it can mitigate health risks associated with diabetes, especially as people age more.
- Homeopathic treatment can help prevent people from developing diabetes in those with a genetic predisposition and other risk factors, including obesity.
- Homeopathy can help with sugar cravings.
- Homeopathy can help with deep emotional stresses, anxieties and fears in people who have diabetes.
- Homeopathy is safe and effective for women with gestational diabetes, and will help mitigate the risk of pre-term births and 'large' size babies, for example.
- Homeopathic is safe for people to take in conjunction with diabetic drugs.
Sunday, 13 October 2013
Yes. Most over the counter homeopathic medicines come in two different forms.
- Lactose Tablets. Hard or soft.
- Sucrose pills.
If you have a milk allergy, then you must use the sucrose pills and avoid the tablets. These can vary from very tiny granules, to small pillules to larger pills. All of which dissolve easily in the mouth or in water.
If you are undergoing treatment by a professional homeopath then she/he will prescribe you medicines in a form appropriate to your needs. This may also come in the form of a liquid remedy preserved in a small amount of alcohol, which is also safe for people who have different allergies.
The aim of homeopathic treatment is always to treat allergies by rebalancing a usually allergic constitution with the aim of restoring the body's capacity to deal with allergens. Perhaps the client will become able ingest these substances in the future, if that is the wish!
Saturday, 12 October 2013
No. One reason why animals and infants respond well to homeopathy is because recovery is not due to a placebo effect. Homeopathy is not a belief system. It is a system of medicine governed by central, fixed principles. Whether or not you believe in it, does not effect the efficacy of well-prescribed medicine tailored to
an individual person's constitution. If you are sceptical, the only way to truly answer this question is to take yourself off to a good homeopath for treatment!
an individual person's constitution. If you are sceptical, the only way to truly answer this question is to take yourself off to a good homeopath for treatment!
Let me tell you what exactly makes homeopathy not work:
- Not enough time undergoing treatment
- An unskilled homeopath
- Inappropriate dosage
- Inappropriate remedy or medicine
- Poor homeopathic prescribing by your professional either due to lack of enough training and education or the professional's own understanding of homeopathic principles.
- Antidoting of effects of homeopathic medicines through the use of substances such as essential oils, coffee, mint and other substances.
- Antidoting of the effects of homeopathy through the use of other energy-healing modalities concurrent with homeopathic treatment such as energy healing and /or acupuncture. Some energy healing does complement or further the health of a person. However, some energy healing depending on the knowledge, insight and development of the healer may suppress or cause imbalance.
- Repeated use of some conventional medicine and/or treatments may be counter-productive and postpone , delay or make recovery impossible but not always. See my post, for example, on whether you can take antibiotics at the same time as homeopathic medicine.
- Sometimes, it is too late.When a person seeks out treatment for advanced pathologies, there may be irreversible damage in the body. Homeopathic treatment can still offer,quality of life, palliation and psychological help but it may not be able to provide cure at such a stage.
- For a more comprehensive understanding of other issues relating to this point, please refer to my earlier post: what if homeopathy does not work for me?
Thursday, 10 October 2013
To sum up, it is best to only use a medicine when familiar with the effects of a medicine and also when familiar with the indications for the use of that medicine. This is why people always turn to trained professionals if they would like to avail of a particular alternative in health-care choice. It is possible to self-educate about how to prescribe medicines on a day to day basis for one's family for minor ailments such as temporary infectious illnesses, and to have success in that way. For all chronic diagnosed illnesses, it is not safe to use homeopathy without having knowledge of homeopathy. Medicine is medicine and should always be treated with respect and healthy restraint. Nature is powerful. So are the forces which lead to sickness, ill-health and imbalance. So too are the forces which restore health, heal and provide permanent cures.
Sunday, 6 October 2013
Whatever the cause of your dehydration whether that be travel, alcohol, habitual thirstlessness, over-consumption of salty foods, over-consumption of caffeinated drinks, a sickness which left you depleted...one common sign and symptom of dehydration is a headache. A dull, aching, overall tension in the head...but that may increase to a throbbing, more painful, debilitating ache. Needless to say, when you are dehydrated, the best solution is to drink water!
But here are 2 homeopathic remedies which may relieve your headache fast and help you to avoid having to take a conventional pain-killer:
- China Officinalis 30c. This is a useful remedy for all ailments that arise from a loss of fluids whether this is just simple dehydration leading to a pounding headache or loss of fluids through excessive perspiration in heat or an infectious illness or severe diarrhoea. Indications that you may need China are: bloating and distension of the abdomen and excessive flatulence or trapped gas, watery diarrhoea, nausea, pallor and weakness. This is a fantastic first-aid remedy to carry with you in travel situations. It is fantastic for hang-overs. And it is also used in more serious illness especially where the liver is involved.
- Bryonia Alba 30c. If you need this remedy, you will be inclined to drink large amounts of water at one time due to intense thirst. You will be irritable like a bear with a sore head, grumpy and will want to be left alone. Even opening your eyes will be too much effort and moving about aggravates all complaints including the headache. Remaining absolutely still makes you forget the pain. This remedy is very useful also for back pain which disappears as long as you do not move an inch and also for headaches arising from putting your back out, as well as dehydration. This remedy is an amazing tool for homeopaths but all its uses are too many to list here. But if you have a dry mouth, dry skin, constipation, are very thirsty, irritable and want to be quiet, with a pounding headache....Bryonia will pick you up very quickly!
|Wild Hops/ Bryonia Alba|
Saturday, 5 October 2013
High Blood Pressure is a very common complaint often associated with an accumulation of stress over a long period of time. This could be due to difficult and challenging life-circumstances, to prolonged unhappiness, or to burn-out associated with a long period of over-work.
Here are some tips for how to lower high blood pressure naturally (if you are in doubt as to whether it is safe to take these alongside any prescribed medication, please consult your own healthcare professional):
- Take a good quality high dose of a Garlic supplement once a day. If you are getting consistently high blood pressure readings then you may need to take this 2-3 x daily for it to be of therapeutic benefit. Cheaper brands are not much good.
- Take Vitamin E 400iu each day. This acts as a natural blood thinner. It also has a big effect in supporting the adrenal glands, and in women of a certain age with blood pressure problems..it supports hormonal levels.
- Use a herbal mother tincture of Crataegus (Hawthorn). This is very effective in lowering blood pressure and may be safely used alongside other medication.
- Take a good quality B-Complex Vitamin Supplement to get extra nutrients for your nervous system in regards to stress.
- Take the following Schuessler Cell Salt remedies: Kali-mur 6x and Kali-phos 6x , 3-4 x daily.
For the treatment of High Blood Pressure by Homeopathy it is best to go to a professional and have them choose an individualised treatment for you. If you are on blood pressure medication, treatment needs to be monitored carefully as if your B.P. drops while being treated but your prescribed medication remains at the same dosage, you may run the risk of your blood pressure dropping too low! (Though this is not that harmful in the short-term). As treatment kicks in and becomes successful, your homeopath will refer you back to your GP for consistent B.P. readings with a view to reducing daily medication or entirely ceasing it. Bear in mind, a professional homeopath will never tell you to just come off your medication and will not interfere with the prescriptions of another health-care practitioner. However, if you are looking around for homoeopathic remedies to help yourself in the short-term, here are 3 Homeopathic Remedies to try out:
Thursday, 3 October 2013
Homeopathy is not much known for the incredible help it can give to people with dental problems. Here are some ways homeopathy can improve your teeth:
- Homeopathic remedies can boost, heal and promote continued healthy gums. You can use remedies to treat gingivitis and other issues, and restore gum health.
- Homeopathic remedies provide effective pain relief and treatment for tooth abscesses. Frequently a tooth can be saved from extraction through the use of homeopathic remedies. Remedies can 'settle' a tooth down and prevent further decay.
- Homeopathic remedies can be used for trips to the dentist. Do you need remedies for fear, anticipation or nerves? Do you need remedies to heal soreness, pain and swelling after dental work? Do you need a remedy to cope with receiving an injection and soreness caused by injections? Do you need a remedy to deal with after-effects of an anaesthetic?
- Homeopathy can treat jaw-clenching and grinding of teeth thus preventing the need for mouth-guards.
- Homeopathy can strengthen assimilation of nutrients leading to increased health of the teeth and gums.
- Homeopathy can treat mouth infections and mouth ulcers, tongue coatings, oral thrush and increased saliva.
Homeopathic dental care works well to prevent dental problems and complications. It also works quickly, immediately and effectively in a crisis. Many teeth problems actually arise a) from poor gum health and b) from receiving many fillings. Most people of a particular generation will have received mercury fillings and had some form of mercury poisoning or leakage which undermined their health over time and which manifests with many different ailments not just of the teeth. The most effective alternative treatment available for this large health issue is really homeopathic medicine.
Why not try it? You would be surprised at how something which has always been your weakness can actually be addressed and stabilised.
Wednesday, 2 October 2013
- If you are familiar with homeopathy and have self-educated about how to use certain over-the-counter remedies or if you have done an introductory course or workshop which explained the basic principles of homeopathy to you and showed you how to use a number of remedies for everyday ailments, then the answer is yes, within reason. You may try a remedy or two but only for a small number of doses. If you need to use a remedy, you should only take between 1-6 doses before expecting a 'cure' or wait 1-3 days maximum. If you have selected the 'right' remedy, then it will work quickly.
- It is not safe to use a homeopathic remedy on an ongoing basis even medium-term without it being prescribed for you by a professional homeopath during pregnancy.
- If you have no knowledge of homeopathy and have a pregnancy-related ailment, then it is better to seek out a professional homeopath to prescribe for you.
- Homeopathy can support your pregnancy by treating all ailments which most women have been taught to consider a normal part of the course of pregnancy. Ailments which although considered common, may interfere with happy day to day living. For example, constipation, piles, pregnancy itch, physical discomfort and pubis symphysis, morning sickness (mild to severe), dizziness or light-headedness, all stomach ailments, emotional mood swings and many more ailments.
- Homeopathy can treat people who have underlying chronic illnesses while pregnant such as diabetes, depression, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, asthma and many others. It can relieve symptoms of these illnesses, as well as promote a healthy, to term pregnancy and support the development of the baby.
- Homeopathy can provide substantial support for birthing and labour. Homeopathic remedies can provide pain-relief during labour, help to change a baby's presenting-position, help with numerous complications of pregnancy. Homeopathy can help with induction of labour, and prevent and/or treat complications of labour.
- Homeopathy can support and treat many different post-natal scenarios including all breastfeeding difficulties and obstacles such as mastitis and milk supply issues. Also post-natal depression, exhaustion, emotional upheaval, and physical healing and recovery from birth whether the birth was natural or by caesarian section. Homeopathy can treat immediate conditions and illnesses of newborn infants, safely and in conjunction with their existing medical care.
Monday, 30 September 2013
Yes, you can! Homeopathic remedies will not interfere with the effect of antibiotics. Nor will remedies interact with antibiotics. Homeopathic remedies are not contra-indicated by antibiotic treatment.
Taking a homeopathic remedy while having antibiotic treatment may well clear up your complaint before an antibiotic 'kicks in' and starts to have real therapeutic benefit. It is often said that it is extremely important to finish out any prescribed course of anti-biotics and not to cease taking them before you have been directed to do do. The theory behind this, is that if bacteria are causing an infection and you quit taking an anti-biotic then some bacteria will remain behind and make it more likely for the illness to return. The job will only be half-done. Another good reason for finishing the course of anti-biotics is so that the remaining bacteria do not develop resistance to that particular antibiotic and cause further mayhem without recourse to effective treatment.
However, homeopathic remedies work in such a way, that when they do work, the body has a complete recovery and the person is likely to feel absolutely no need to continue their antibiotics especially considering that some antibiotics are very strong and can make a person feel 'wiped out' , 'flat' and 'weak' or even downright 'depressed'. If a complaint or ailment has been treated naturally and in a short period of time with complete and undoubted recovery...it really is less likely to recur. If an ailment has been treated with other types of medicine and the person, although no longer suffering from that particular ailment, is left feeling washed out, low in energy and still needing a tonic or multivitamin of some sort..then truth be told, their ailment is very likely to recur again.
Homeopathic remedies can also assist people's responsiveness to conventional medicine. In that way, it can be extremely beneficial for a person to seek out homeopathic treatment or over the counter remedies even after having begun to take a course of antibiotics. Homeopathy will counteract the adverse effects of antibiotics in terms of physical energy and vitality and it will lessen or even obviate the need for a double or triple course of antibiotics, due to people's developing resistance to this medication. It will also not 'suppress' the ailment and push it back into an underlying condition only to pop up again at a later point.
Basically, you can't go wrong with using homeopathy at the same time as taking an antibiotic medicine. No need to worry. Use whatever resources you can find to help yourself, when in need! It is a step in the right direction of learning that you can solve your problems in other ways. Some people are afraid to 'risk' not taking an anti-biotic for fear of becoming worse. It does take a while to explore other choices. So in between using ordinary medicines and the discovery of homeopathy as a viable healthcare choice, I find this fear completely understandable. It can be very reassuring to take small steps towards other options at the same time as falling back on an old way of going about things. Eventually, with increasing conviction and experience about the effectiveness of homeopathic medicine, dependence on antibiotics decreases and fades away. And one's health reaches a new level of well-being.
Saturday, 28 September 2013
- Homeopathic remedies come in several forms: lactose tablets (hard or soft), sucrose pills or pillules and sucrose granules, or ready-made liquid mixtures. For those sensitive or allergic to milk, you are better choosing to take sucrose pills. For those sensitive/allergic to sugar, choose tablets. For those sensitive to both sugar and milk choose liquid mixtures. Most liquid remedies are preserved in alcohol but for those sensitive to alcohol, you may use a liquid mixture preserved by charcoal or choose tablets or pills instead.
- Homeopathic remedies are not to be swallowed. The tablets/pills should be dissolved slowly in the mouth or sucked or chewed. The liquid remedies must also be held briefly held in/swirled around the mouth gently before drinking down. This is because the remedies are absorbed by diffusing over the mucous membranes of the mouth and tongue. They are not 'digested' in the stomach at all.
- For babies, use the granules. You can wet your finger, collect some granules on your finger and place it gently in the mouth of the baby. Or you can place some granules directly into the mouth of the baby. Or you can dissolve pills or tablets in water and give a teaspoonful of water to the baby. If you are a breastfeeding mother, you can take the remedy yourself and it will go to the baby. Your other alternative is to crush a tablet with the back of a teaspoon, and administer as you would the granules.
- For elderly people refer to the above.
- For people who are intubated in a hospitalised situation, liquid remedies may be dropped gently in the side of the mouth or granules may be placed gently inside the lip. (With the permission of the medics)
Most homeopathic remedies come with a recommended shelf-life date. Many people ask if their remedies go out of date, may they still be used? The answer is in the case of tablets or pills ..yes, these remedies will often still be effective. Although if you are a frequent air-traveller and you have often brought your remedies through x-ray, then please do consider acquiring new remedies. In the case of liquid mixtures, do not use once out of date unless you still get a strong smell of alcohol from the bottle and you know the remedy has been stored out of sunlight and warm temperatures. Once the alcohol evaporates off, the water will no longer be 'live' and thus cannot carry the remedy.
Homeopathic remedies often come with recommendations to take 2 tablets at a time. This is not necessary. One tablet or pill equals one dose. If you have a child who has ingested a whole bottle of tablets or pills, do not panic or worry necessarily. If the remedy is low potency, then the child will have still only had 1 dose...as quantity in homeopathy is not like conventional medicine. However, if the potency is a 'high' potency , such as 1M upwards +, then you might consult a homeopath about addressing any effects (which however will not be severe or cause any long-lasting harm)
Having said that, here are a few clues to help you decide on the person who may be right for you
- trust your own 'feelings' about the practitioner. Do you feel a flood of warmth and relief that you have found him or her, towards the person? Do you feel relieved that you have finally found someone that you just know will be understanding?
- from the first moment you pick up the phone and also while negotiating times for an appointment for a consultation : is the practitioner flexible and accommodating ? (without being too accommodating..the last thing you need is to get a sense that a practitioner 'needs' every potential patient!) Does making an arrangement 'flow' easily and you get a feeling of 'rightness' about having done the right thing?
- do you actually begin to feel physically better once having made your decision and made your appointment?
It is important that your homeopath has professional training and also seems unfazed when you mention the ailment/condition you need help with. If they are hesitant, you are perfectly within your rights to ask if they have treated a person suffering from this condition before. If a homeopath refers you to a colleague whom they know is more experienced in that particular area, then you may be sure you can trust that practitioner. Only a practitioner who knows their own limits, who is conscious of always being on a learning curve no matter how long they have been in practice, is a safe practitioner.
If you only knew the amount of regulation, accreditation, qualifications and continuous professional development at present required of most homeopaths who are on the Register of their own Professional Societies..then you would be surprised and gladdened. If you even knew how much it costs financially to maintain a practice then you would realise that most long-term established practitioners do it out of love for homeopathy.
The truth is that no amount of box ticking, and qualifications will guarantee you a skilled, vocational homeopath who has withstood the test of time through falling back again and again on their personal conviction combined with experiencing of homeopathic medicine and its power and scope. A polished professional veneer, classy clothes, and a practice-premises in an excellent location will not necessarily imply a deepened knowledge of homeopathy or skillful treatment leading towards permanent cure. Though obviously these features may not exclude the possibility of cure, either! It is not true that the higher a person's fees, the better they are at their work. Neither is a homeopath a charity, operating under the guise "if he really wanted to help humanity, he would give his help for free!". Homeopaths have families, livelihoods, homes to maintain, children to provide for.
If a homeopath appears confident but your inner feelings make you withhold trust in some manner, then do not go with that practitioner. If your practitioner fobs you off or acts like you are at fault when you question them and ask sceptical questions, then think twice. You do not need a homeopath who is not firm enough in their own knowledge to tolerate being questioned and tested. A humble person , one who can withstand self-doubt and who will be cautious and careful with the responsibility entrusted to them is what you need. A homeopath who makes no promises and gives out no guarantees is someone who has the life experience to know that no person is God, life is what it is, and although miracles happen, sometimes they simply do not.
We have all become so reliant on technology, test results, paper-work, large regulatory systems, ombudsmen and insurances that we have lost capacity to perceive others correctly by trusting our own senses. The best advice I can give you when seeking out a homeopathic professional is "See, how you feel". That may seem simplistic and unsatisfactory but ultimately you are responsible for making a good choice and for being in charge of your own health, as much as a practitioner is responsible for doing their best to facilitate healing with the best of what knowledge they have gained.
In the present world, mistrust is spreading its noxious influence everywhere, penetrating to the heart of therapeutic relationships which could potentially be the unlocking of a miraculous turning point but many times point towards tragic inevitability instead. Any health-care professional is a human being with flaws. Each and every person who ails and suffers sickness, is also flawed and not entitled to cure merely by virtue of their suffering. Health care professionals no matter what their discipline, do bear a great deal of responsibility to be the best they can be, without forgetting ultimately that each person' s life may be influenced by forces not best judged by a superficial and material attitude.
Friday, 27 September 2013
Thursday, 26 September 2013
SonRise: A Miracle Continues to all parents of a child with autism. This is the story of a child who was 'brought back' through the deep spiritual experience of love of his parents. They then wished to share their experiences and help others and founded a centre in America called The Autism Treatment Center. They work not only with autism but with many different types of disability and also children and adults with Down's Syndrome.
In working with a child with autism, the most important factors are:
- unconditional acceptance of where the child is at, without expectation or condition (This of course is a difficult task!)
- joining the world of the child by participating and mimicking the same actions and behaviours of the child in order to get the child to notice you, show an interest in you and promote mutual eye contact
- the more eye contact and the more there is a mutual shared experience of life and of the 'world' around, the more a 'relationship' can build
- all learning and all motivation for learning and growth takes place inside a loving relationship
- without relationship, the brain cannot be re-wired or be re-connected and learning becomes impossible
- autism is considered a relational disorder more than an intellectual disability
- the key to healing is the ending of isolation through deeper loving contact with another person/other people, thus motivating the child to come into contact with the world around them without fear
This approach is the opposite to ABA. 'Stimming' is self-soothing and should be permitted not discouraged. Not only that, but parents may join in the stimming, imitate the stimming and become a part of that aspect of the child's life in order to build a deeper bond. Trusting relationships reduce terror and fear and can encourage true growth. The level of trust that a child with autism needs to have in his/her parents is on a completely different scale than one usually has between parent and child due to the degree of existential terror that is present in the child, And many of us are still only learning how to create such trust. The belief is that parents who have feelings of great love for their child and who will do anything for their child, advocate for their child, devote themselves to the child are the best 'experts' a child could have working on their behalf. Physiotherapy, speech therapy, all sorts of therapies ...many parents feel utter despair at not being able to get state support in providing these to their child if they cannot afford these things privately. Many parents will drown themselves financially trying to get the necessary helps for their child. They do not realise, that their own personal efforts can produce radical results far beyond a qualified therapist. The Autism Treatment Center run programs to help the parents to run their own 'program' and put a support system in place.
Wednesday, 25 September 2013
You have heard homeopathy can help. But exactly how can it help? What possible results could you achieve? Is it worth even seeking out homeopathic treatment? Read this post and then have a think about it!
Homeopathy helps your child with autism by:
- undoing and reversing vaccine damage
- increasing and improving eye contact
- detoxifying the body from heavy metal poisoning from vaccines or other sources
- healing deep-seated fears and phobias
- increasing flexibility and healing the ability to adapt to change in children with fear of the slightest change in routine or plan for the day
- relaxing and diminishing stress which leads directly to self-stimulating behaviour (i.e. stimming)
- reducing or eradicating stims such as hand-flapping, jumping, skipping, whistling, rocking, moaning, laughing and many others
- speeding up severe developmental delays (aiding with developmental milestones such as movement (crawling, walking, grasping, jumping, running, riding a bike etc), speech, self-expression, toileting and social skills
- healing birth trauma and issues around rejection and abandonment (for both mother and child)
- healing/repairing muscle tone, balance, coordination
- treating bowel problems (poor elimination, chronic constipation, mal-absorption of nutrients, nutritional deficiency and the host of other issues confronting those with autism)
- treating digestive problems such as regurgitation of food, gagging and choking, phobias around certain foods
- treating allergies and severe allergic reactions
- healing tantrums and outbursts of rage or distress related to frustration and communication problems
- treating depression, severe anxiety and feelings of worthlessness and low confidence that develop when child begins to cover up and hide disabilities from others
- repairing damaging effects of head injury or brain damage
- treating parents with homeopathy and providing deep, healing support for the huge stress that confronts them
- healing shame, embarrassment, and sensitivity to others' thoughts and judgements
- treating the individual person and providing therapeutic, healing help which is individualised and less prone to labelling and categorisation, seeing the true person.
Homeopathic treatment in cases of autism is always medium to long-term.
Monday, 23 September 2013
One of the first experiences a person will have on hearing news of the sudden death of a loved one is shock. The person loses awareness of surroundings, may be struck speechless and the mind seems to stop functioning in its usual way. One cannot think, or even seem to know what do immediately in the moments after the shock ..does one sit, or stand, what does one say, what does one do next? There is a blank vacant feeling where one suddenly seems isolated from the world and where ordinary reality cannot seem to penetrate the haze. It is difficult to comprehend what one person or several people are talking about. There is a strange disjointed connection between one's Self and one's body.
As well as the strange non-feeling, slowed-down state of being with all else being pushed to the very fringes of consciousness, there are often immediate physical symptoms. The mouth dries up, the body temperature drops and the person may shiver. The colour drains away from the face, the eyes take on a staring, fixed look with dilated pupils. The person may be speechless and immobile.The person is ungrounded and very vulnerable. A person may burst immediately into tears and start to shake violently or weep and wail with pain.
Traditional ways off supporting a shocked person:
- Make sure the person is warm and well-wrapped
- Give the person either water or tea to drink. If possible, add a little sugar to the tea. Provide tissues.
- Make sure the person is not left alone...as usual functioning ceases temporarily and shocked people cannot think straight, never mind take action of any kind, such as drive anywhere or do anything for themselves.
- The person must be accompanied until the initial shock transforms into feelings or words or actions and during all the following hours thereafter.
- Explanations should be given in the form of simple, short sentences and may need to be repeated. If the person asks questions then more detail must be given but must be delivered in a straightforward way and assessed as to whether they may cause further distress and be necessary information at that time.
- It is helpful after an initial period to give the person something to do physically, to address the ungroundedness and 'bubble' of shock and bring them back a little into their body e.g. such as offering something to drink or eat, to put a piece of clothing on, to make a phone call for them, to contact someone on their behalf.
- If appropriate, a simple human touch offers healing and comfort and also physical grounding.
Homeopathic remedies above all else have profound and immediate results in emergency situations. Aconite is the main remedy used to help a shocked person. All of the above symptoms indicate its use. Use a high potency (in layman's terms: the strength of the remedy), as high has possible depending on what you may have to hand. 10M + upwards to 50M and Aconite CM's are appropriate. Many people who are not homeopaths will only have either a 30c or 200c to hand ..this is fine too. Homeopathic remedies can be diluted in water but also in tea. They may be given directly to the person to ingest by gently dissolving in their mouth like a sweet or chewing a tablet briefly. This homeopathic remedy will not interfere with any conventional medication a person may be taking. The effect of this remedy is to bring a person back, minimise pain and distress, while at the same time helping to mobilise a less stressful defence against it. It relieves all physical symptoms of violent shock and brings stability to body and soul.
Once again, how do you recognise when someone needs this remedy? :
- pale, sweaty face with staring or fixed look in the eyes or dilated pupils
- expression of fear or a type of absent look
- dry mouth and lips
- shivering, chills, shuddering , trembling
- faintness and sinking of strength
- inability to talk or immediate weeping and wailing
- this remedy may be used for physical complaints brought on by the shock such as asthma attacks, breathing difficulty, palpitations, fainting, hypoglycaemia, nose-bleed, surge in blood pressure etc.
Aconite Napellum is a miraculous First-Aid remedy to have on hand..it relieves intense pain, distress, panic and trauma. No pocket, handbag, purse, car, household should be without it.
Thursday, 29 August 2013
- LOVE wires brains. The mind of a child who is loved and feels relaxed is more absorbent and permeable, and works at a better pace than the mind of a child which is overwhelmed by anxiety, tension, fear and insecurity. Homeopathic remedies target the brain + body + emotion.
- Learning requires motivation. Motivation arises from at least ONE happy and supportive relationship with a person who knows more and thus can 'teach' the child. In the case of toddlers, imitation of a loved one is THE motivator. In the case of school-children, if the child likes or even better, loves their teacher, the bridge of learning is open.
- Parents are the No.1 Source of help for their own children. Parents are the only and best experts on their own child, more than any professional. A combination of common sense and intuition which is informed by complete personal investment in one's own child is THE recipe for success in helping children to grow and develop. No healing modality compares to this! I have noticed how disempowered parents are becoming, ironically, by the increase in support and services. It is as if they believe without 'therapists' of all kinds, they are helpless to help their child.
Homeopathy can deal with learning difficulties in different ways by treating the following:
Saturday, 6 July 2013
Many are the causes of illness as we know. We must learn to understand where we are also personally responsible for our own health and body. At the same time as learning to become responsible we do have to also learn to have compassion and love for ourselves and others.
Responsibility as I am sure you have often heard people say is really response-ability. An ability to respond. In my experience, lack-of self love ranging from carelessness with oneself all the way to self-loathing and passive self-destruction accompanies nearly every single preventable illness. Many illnesses are indeed preventable except that unfortunately they still happen. Why? Why, with all our knowledge of nutrition, care of the body, the benefits of exercise, lifestyle choices, access to so much professional attention and medicine (in the developed world) ...why are we still so afflicted with illness?
Today, there is much talk of how to prevent obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Everyone knows that with a wise and excellent diet, frequent exercise and fresh air and a dose of personal happiness, certain diseases are unlikely to develop at all.
But why when a person knows the right thing to do, why is it, that this seems the most difficult and impossible thing to achieve? Why is it too much of an ask? It is so frustrating for medical people, carers, health professionals to perceive certain risks to people arising from their behaviour and the path they are on. It is so awful to watch and wait for the inevitable result. Watching a person continually putting on more and more weight, developing diabetes, continuing to put on weight, developing uncontrolled diabetes, developing heart disease, becoming ever more restricted in life, ever more ill. Watching a person who started off with a desire for healthy-eating and a fitness regime, become ever more thin, become addicted to exercise, obsessed with image, vulnerable to abuses such as steroids, drugs, appetite suppressants or excessive protein supplements, watch their body go into premature decay from over-use and over strain.
Relatives and loved ones stand by and watch addictions take root and continue in a person. Husbands watch their wives. Wives stand by helplessly and watch their husbands grow more stressed and strained and at risk of heart attack. I could choose endless examples. In the mental health arena, the destructive patterns are deep and intense and terribly destructive.
It is in my view, pointless to judge a person who struggles to take full responsibility for themselves. Judgement and harshness, dictates, reproaches, admonishing just makes a person who is already struggling with truly loving themselves and the body they have been given, feel worse. The only way to help a person is to help them achieve a meaningful understanding of who they are, and how they have come to this point. Why are they struggling with this particular issue? What blessings and opportunities has it brought? What is this door that is opening to learning something new about life and experience? Is it possible to turn around? is it possible to finally understand deeper answers?
The cure for illness often simply lies in change and evolution, spiritual progress and realisation, personal recognition and the following actions and choices decided upon as a result. Taking care of oneself and the deep needs a human being has for comfort, security and love. Loving oneself enough to care about what one does to oneself. A person who feels worthy and loved rarely hurts themselves and does less harm to their fellow human beings as well, as opposed to a person who is drowning in a sea of worthlessness and pain.
Illness is always a sign of deeper disturbances within.
Tuesday, 2 July 2013
You may have heard this expression bandied about quite a bit by homeopaths! But do we homeopaths or our existing and potential clients even really understand what this actually means? We are so used to thinking of disease as an entity separate to us - external bacteria, or a virus or something that has caused disturbance to our bodies. We think that disease has a presence within our bodies that can be easily identified by symptoms and once we identify these then we can oppose them to eliminate or eradicate them. Because we tend to think short-term and in the here and now, once a symptom disappears, we assume the disease is gone.
With orthodox medicine there tends to be one guiding principle governing the treatment of illness: get rid of the symptom and you will also get rid of the illness. Although recently in the last hundred years due to the progress of science we are very interested in the cause of illness believing that once we know the cause we can find the cure. So many treatments now are entirely dependent upon the diagnosis. Without a proper diagnosis, many diseases become impossible to treat. There is merit evidently in this approach, but here are some pointers to the extra subtleties of how homeopaths think:
- Symptoms are physiological responses to disease, not the disease itself. Assuming disease has gone once a symptom has gone, is wrong which can either aggravate the illness temporarily causing greater risk to the body or cause a cascade of changes to take place gradually over time inside the body, thus weakening the immune system.
- Symptoms are usually a healthy defence against illness, and once you oppose these defences, you cause harm to the person. This is the equivalent of stripping someone of their armour and weaponry and yet leaving them standing in the middle of a battlefield.
- Symptoms change and shift with time and the progress or the abatement of illness. They must be seen in context with each other and an overall pattern. To eradicate some symptoms without actually curing the illness, is downright dangerous.Symptoms are sign-posts, take them down and we get lost.
Saturday, 29 June 2013
I have come across people both outside my practice and occasionally a client, for whom homeopathy has not worked very well, if at all! A strange thing for a Professional Homeopath to blog about while promoting the use of homeopathy! Homeopathy is a system of medicine, a stand-alone system within itself. But like the average computer, our practice of it and our use of it, our success and results with it depend upon the user and many other factors.
However, if we are unfamiliar with a keyboard and which key produces which symbol or letter, then our chances of typing @ our reduced. Even though we know, if we press the right button, @ will appear.
If we do not have the intention to produce the symbol @ in the first place, even though that is the particular symbol we need, then our chances of stumbling across it and realising this is correct, are even less.
If we don't use a keyboard at all, even though we need to type, then the search for '@' is challenging if not impossible unless we get someone else to do it for us, or unless through some fortuitous event a person intervenes and guides us to the button.
If you have attended a homeopath or are attending a homeopath and are not getting good results, consider this:
Friday, 28 June 2013
This is a short video I'd like to show you. Dana Ullman is a regular columnist with The Huffington Post in America. You will be surprised at how many people whom you admire and look up to, have used homeopathy as a great help for their health and well-being in their lives. Homeopathy is there for everyone including YOU. Why not try it?
Thursday, 27 June 2013
There is alot of writing and advice about over-eating and excessive appetite and how to lower or suppress appetite. But there are many people who do not have a healthy appetite at all. They frequently have no desire for food, and when they do eat, they can lose their appetite while eating or be so quickly satiated that they eat too little.
A healthy appetite and a desire for healthy food is a marker of good health and a healthy constitution. A healthy appetite leads to the intake of good and nourishing food and the body produces 'appetite' in order to ensure its own health and vitality. It is well-known that people who are ill often will not wish to eat and that those convalescing from illness are weak and lack the relish for food. Often the first sign of illness before the onset of other symptoms, is the loss of appetite. Also, the persistence of a near-non-existent appetite is an indication that all is not well.
When raising children, many parents are baffled as to how to tempt their picky, fussy eater to eat. Never mind eat well. Although it is quite natural for a toddler's appetite to vary from one day to the next as well as their interest in different types of food (fruit one day, protein the next), a child should have a healthy appetite (based on what is normal for him or her) in order to maintain health and resistance to infection.
Other signs which indicate a poor appetite and need to be addressed:
- low body temperature, feeling cold
- pale face with dark circles under the eyes
- constipation, irregular bowel movements
- lack of energy
- cannot 'relish' or 'enjoy' food no matter what it is
- frequent illness
Here are two valuable helps to stimulate and restore appetite:
- The homeopathic remedy Silica.
Tuesday, 25 June 2013
If you see an adult or a child suffer an asthma attack, they need medical attention. There are different types of asthma attack. Some are the spasmodic kind, some take the form of a continuous coughing and spluttering. Whichever form this takes, if there is substantial breathlessness, panic, flaring nostrils and any blueness around the lips, it is very serious and the person will need urgent help. While you are acquiring and organising help,Here are some general tips of what to do:
- Make sure they are sitting up in a high-backed chair or standing erect. Let them lean over something or put their arms on either a wall or a piece of furniture in front of them to curve the upper back. Sit them down at a table which they can lean forward on. Lying down or reclining back in a chair causes discomfort and will not help breathlessness.
- Give them a brown-paper bag. (If they are really struggling, they may not want this as the feeling of suffocation may increase.)
- Place a hand on their back (lower than their lungs) and rub gently. Touch them gently.
- Don't talk too much...it is better to just 'be' with them. Also, do not stare at them or look anxiously at them. Seeing anxiety reflected on a parent's or concerned friend's face can increase the anxiety of the person having the asthma episode. Do not look too much at them as embarrassment and self-consciousness can cause more anxiety further restricting the breath.
- Give them Bach Flower Rescue Remedy. Add Rescue Remedy to a glass of water and give them water to sip regularly.
- Get them to slow their breathing and try to stop 'gasping' for or 'gulping' air. Building up CO2 levels in the lungs will help considerably. Count their breaths with them and do it slowly so that they resonate with your own healthy rhythm.
- Distract them. Get them to imagine something uplifting and beautiful.
- Loosen all tight clothing including around the waist. Make sure they are not in a stuffy, warm room as fresh cool air is essential to them.
- Use a chest rub with essential oils and ingredients such as Eucalyptus, Pine, Menthol. Or add drops of these oils to the bowl of steaming water for them to inhale.
- Try to relax them. Relaxation and dealing with panic and fear are the keys to slowing breathing, stopping hyperventilation and opening the airways.
Here are 3 Homeopathic Remedies which will provide great relief if not stop the attack altogether:
Monday, 24 June 2013
Children really love homeopathy and once a parent begins to use homeopathic remedies to make them well, very often children begin to refuse other types of medicine. Why?
- They work! Kids feel better and respond quickly to homeopathy.
- They like the taste and novelty of the remedies! The remedies usually are in tablet or pill form. The tablets are made of a lactose and are easy to suck or chew and do not taste bad. For those sensitive to lactose, kids can use sucrose. The pills are made of sucrose and taste like a sweet....it's basically a minuscule amount of sugar. For those kids who are sensitive to both, homoeopathic remedies can be acquired in liquid form. Kids do not have to swallow them, digest them, tolerate a disgusting taste or any after-taste. Homeopathic remedies can be taken easily on an empty stomach.
- There are no side-effects. Homeopathic remedies will not make a child feel 'zonked', exhausted, drained of one's natural vitality. They do not sedate, they do not 'wipe' the child out so that their usually bouncy, energetic self begins to languish on the sofa. They do not make a child feel worse, or prolong an illness. They do not clear up one symptom only for the child to develop another symptom.
Moms and Dads like homeopathic remedies because:
Friday, 21 June 2013
One of the main homeopathic remedies used to eliminate warts is Thuja Occidentalis 30c. This can be given just once or once weekly for four weeks depending on the progress of the wart. Be aware that occasionally a wart can become larger at the beginning of treatment as the 'root' begins to come out before it falls off or disappears. Do not persist taking the remedy once you can see your body is responding and that there are changes taking place leading to the disappearance of the wart.
You can apply Thuja topically as it is found in many alternative topical wart treatments but I would recommend that you do not do this.
Many people have warts
Wednesday, 19 June 2013
Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy as it is frequently practised today, was a man made up of many noble qualities. He had 11 children in a time when child-mortality was high, and the means to provide for children small. Despite this and against the wishes of his first wife, he gave up his work because of his conscience which told him he could not live up to his Hippocratic Oath to "Do no harm". He was an orthodox trained medical doctor working in a time where medicine was mostly poisonous and treatments were mostly harmful to health. For example, Syphilis was treated with Mercury and when people died of Mercury poisoning, it was said the Syphilis had killed them. Cupping and leeching were common and weakened people so much that they were overcome by their illness.
- In those days, people's understanding of illness was very limited yet Hahnemann knew that mental and emotional states affected people's health
- he knew that everyone was individual in how they experienced an illness and the signs and symptoms could vary tremendously despite a uniform diagnosis
- he knew that certain types of illness had the power to develop immunity in a person and protect against further illness
- he knew that some illness was caused by germs and bacteria which could not be physically seen
- he knew that illness would not exist in life without a cure being possible (he believed in a just God and that illness was not a punishment but had a sense and reason and meaning behind it. He was also aware that ignorance about how to live and take care of ourselves was often the cause of bad health)
- he understood the harm that certain substances could cause and advised people on a proper diet and lifestyle as part of preventing and /or curing illness
- he warned about intellectual speculation and varying theories of the cause of disease as he thought that this intellectualising did not lead us closer to cure but instead could actually obstruct cure
- he knew that spiritual healing and energy healing could heal and help sickness and respected people who had those gifts
- he thought that the ultimate reason and purpose behind having good physical health was in order to find one's purpose in life and live it.
Samuel Hahnemann upset and enraged people with his personally-expressed convictions. He announced that all doctors should make their own medicines as that was the only way to guarantee safety and efficacy and also that was the only way to get medics to take personal responsibility and more care with their prescribing of treatments. Of course, all the apothecaries rose up in objection as they could see their profits and livelihoods being threatened by some sort of self-appointed moral guardian.
Hahnemann said that in trying to cure illness we had "thoughtlessly overlooked and misjudged the spiritual nature of our life"
Monday, 17 June 2013
Buy some Arnica 30c. The most incredible remedy to start off with. Watch those bruises and aches from falls, bangs and knocks disappear. If you have a toddler, you will wonder how you ever managed without it. Take it after dental work, after surgery, after intense sports activity, after blows and injuries in sports, after vigorous exercise which leaves your body aching.
Read a book on homeopathy. For those of you who want to get started on the practicalities of using remedies at home straight away, try this one Miranda Castro's "The Complete Homeopathy Handbook":